Gingerbread is a holiday favorite. It is made into cute little cookies and even houses adorned with candies. I grew up with gingerbread loaf and it was my favorite. Except these days I make my own favorites into healthier version and this is no exception!
Enjoy my adaptation of gingerbread loaf, complete with icing…I bet you won’t even tell the difference. If anything, you might even enjoy it more! I know I do.
Not Your Mother’s Gingerbread Loaf
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 and 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
- 3 tbsp. coconut flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 pastured raised eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, grass fed butter or ghee (melted)
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. ginger (can use fresh instead but use 2 tbsp. grated)
- ¾cup canned coconut milk (full fat)
- ¼tsp. fresh lemon zest or orange zest
- 1Tbsp. coconut sugar
- Pinch sea salt
- 2 tbsp. crystallized ginger, finely chopped (leave aside)
- First step is to make the glaze. In a sauce pan add all the ingredients except for the crystalized ginger. Bring ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes until thickened. Whisk throughout the 10 minutes. Once done, put in a separate bowl and let cool in the fridge for about 2 hours so that it can thicken completely.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease your load pan with coconut oil. Sift all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl whisk together, all of the wet ingredients until combined. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry until smooth and then pour into the loaf pan to bake. Bake for about 40 to 50 minutes, checking frequently once it hits 40 minutes and take out of oven once a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the loaf.
- Allow the loaf to cool completely before taking it out of the pan (about 30 to 40 minutes). Turn over onto cutting board once cooled and cover with the glaze completely. Sprinkle with the crystallized ginger, serve in slices and enjoy!
With Nourishing Love,
P.S. Sign up for my FREE 7-Day Simple Weight Loss Challenge below and get it delivered right to your inbox. See how easy it is to eat for weight loss ALL without the hassle of making your own meal plan or grocery list! Yes! It’s included!