If you told your child, or when you were a child and your parents told you, that cookies were for breakfast…I bet you would have jumped for joy! I know that I would have and I know my kids did, when I told them about this recipe.
This week I made breakfast cookies because honestly I wanted something super healthy, something that was a no brainer and that I would feel good about giving to my kids before school. So I made up this awesome recipe that I am about to share with you. I hope that you find it helpful and inspiring to stay healthy, happy, and creative! Because you can customize and make this recipe your own.
Grain-Free Protein Breakfast Cookies!
Makes about 2 dozen (depending on size)
- 2 cups of almond flour (or meal)
- 1 scoop or your favorite protein powder or 2 scoops of your collagen protein powder
- 2 large pasture raised eggs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Ceylon cinnamon (or whatever you fancy)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil, grass-fed butter or avocado oil
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar (or honey/maple syrup)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
(optional yummy ingredients: 1/2 cup almonds/walnuts/hazelnuts, any nuts you love but just chop them up. 1/2 tsp almond extract/lemon/orange, any extracts you might enjoy in them is great. 1 cup of berries (I tried blueberry because they are my favorite but make sure they are fresh not frozen. You could also add dried fruits as well. Make them your own and do what your family fancy’s first)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease baking sheet (I use spray avocado oil)
- Mix together in a food processor the almond flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, protein powder and mix until combined. Add in the sweetener you decide, vanilla, eggs, coconut oil (or other choice) and pulse until a dough like substance forms.
- Fold in the optional nuts, and other goodies you decide and then drop on to the greased cookie sheet flattening out into a shape you desire.
- Allow to bake for about 10 minutes or until golden in color.
- Let cool for about 20 minutes and then enjoy…or store for the week in the fridge!