If you have ever celebrated Easter, at least in the U.S, then you know of the iconic “peep” marshmallow candy. I always got “peeps” in my Easter basket growing up and although it’s not my favorite, I know it is for many others.
So I wanted to share with you a healthier alternative to the classic Easter “peep”. One that you can feel good about when you or your kids eat them.
I know Easter as a nutritionist, along with other holidays revolving around candy, can be overwhelming, but you want to participate and enjoy the treats too. Here is a great way to do that without the guilt!
Enjoy and Happy Easter!
Easter “Peeps” Recipe
Makes about 20 “peeps”
- 1 cup warm water (divided into 2-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (or try other flavor extracts you might enjoy or cacao powder)
- 4 tbsp. grass fed gelatin or collagen powder
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tbsp. probiotic powder (optional but great option for gut health)
- Optional: natural food coloring
- Pour warm water in a mixing bowl and sprinkle gelatin over the top of it. Let it soak into the water and whisk. Set aside.
- In saucepan, take other 1/2 cup warm water and mix with honey/maple syrup and if using cacao powder mix that in here too. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly bring to a boil stirring the entire time. About 8 minutes consistently.
- Using a stand mixer (or hand but stand is easier), add gelatin/water and mix on a medium speed while adding the honey/maple syrup mixture. Mix on high for about 13 minutes or until you get soft “peaks”.
- If you decide to use probiotics, add them here, along with any other flavors or flavorings and mix for 2 more minutes.
- Either using a greased peep mold (you can buy on amazon) or cookie sheet (using a cookie cutter later) pour out until even and smooth. If using a cookie sheet, you can also use parchment paper.
- Let rest overnight for best results.
- When you are ready to cut the into “peep” shape using a cookie cutter (versus the mold) use a well greased cookie cutter to create shape desired. You can melt a little bit of chocolate and create iconic “peep” eyes and nose with a toothpick. Done!
*keep at room temperature, stored in airtight container. Lasts 2 to 3 days with probiotics and a week without.*